10.31.2009

Creative solutions!

First of all, Happy Halloween! We don't really do much of anything for Halloween...without kids, we don't have anyone to dress up! Neither one of us really cares to dress up, and we don't go to parties, so we just stayed in this evening!

I have a TON of jewelry...it's accumulated over the years and I'm running out of room to store it all. My mom is having the same problem, and her birthday was on the 18th. I needed a gift for her and she needed somewhere to put her jewelry! So, I came up with a simple solution. I put some serious thinking into what I wanted to do.

I remembered being at May Mart this year and someone who was selling jewelry and had an old frame that she had painted and had covered plywood or something similar in fabric. Well...I thought that might be pretty easy, but didn't know where to find an old frame that would be big enough for my project. My friend, Julianne, said she's just using a simple bulletin board and pushpins to hang her jewelry on.

So, I combined the two ideas and created this:
I took the center out of the bulletin board, covered it in simple patterned fabric, bought clear push pins and put little bronze stickers on the ends of them for decoration.

Here's a close up of the top.And the bottom of the board.Now, when mom gets dressed, she'll be able to see all of her jewelry and be able to pick something quickly to go with her outfit! I'll have to make one for myself, now, because I like it so much!

Today, we watched the Penn State/Northwestern game this afternoon. Penn State won 34-13! And then Penguins game came on right after that...they lost to the Minnesota Wild 2-1. Tomorrow there isn't a Steelers game. I heard on DVE yesterday on my way home from school that a bar in Pittsburgh is having a Bye-week blues fest since there won't be a game. Guess we'll have to find something else to do, as well!

We're watching the Ghost Hunters Marathon on Syfy...they're showing the 5 scariest episodes and counting down until they do a live investigation at 1:00 am.

That's about it...pretty boring day! It's nice to stay at home together once in a while. We didn't have any visitors for trick-or-treat since we don't live in town. Hope you all had some visitors!

2 comments:

Kate said...

LOVE this! Great idea!

Sarah said...

Thanks, Katie! It was so simple and took all of 10 minutes to do! I probably spent $10-15 on it, with the fabric, board, pins, and stickers. It's a pretty display, and makes it easy to get to the jewelry!