1.10.2010

A new discovery

This week I found a new blog and I am in love. It's silly to be in love with something like a blog, but this one makes my life easier, so how can I not love it.
May I introduce you to A YEAR OF SLOW COOKING. This woman, Stephanie O'Dea, dedicated 365 days of her life to finding a way to use her crockpot at home. She made something different in it EVERY DAY for a YEAR, deserts, appetizers, dinners, deserts, breakfasts, playdough, crayons, candles...you name it!! And well, she also wrote this book and was on Rachel Ray, too! After I spent about an hour two hours looking through all of her (indexed in alphabetical order) recipes on Friday night (I know, I have a really exciting life), I found one that I had EVERYTHING in my house to make!

I made this deliciousness in a bowl:PIZZA SOUP
I mostly followed Stephanie's recipe when I made it this time, except that instead of baby tomatoes I used the two small tomatoes that I had in the fridge from Taco night, I omitted the mushrooms (because I HATE cooked mushrooms), and added a little bit more of the italian sausage (because I had 3 left, and the recipe only called for 2). Bobby just put the rest of the box of bowties that I had in the pantry...which was probably twice as much as the recipe called for. I didn't have any mozzerella, so I garnished with freshly grated parmesan cheese, which was even better!!

Bobby and I really enjoyed it, though I think it had WAY too much pepperoni in it and needed even more pasta. My cousin Rachel, (who came to spend the night and went shopping with me and made me smile) liked it, but thought it was too spicy...must've been all the pepperoni. We all agreed that it was a little too greasy though...again, I think it was the pepperoni.

The next time I make it, I'll change it up just a little bit to make everyone happy. Less pepperoni for sure...the recipe calls for a whole cup, but I'd probably use only half a cup, and lots more pasta. Stephanie suggests 1/3 to 1/2 cup pasta...but I'm pretty sure Bobby said there was about 1 1/2 cups of pasta left in the box. I still think it needed more. Bobby said that adding some chicken to this would be good, too! This is definitely something that will be added to the menu again. It's a great winter soup, and my hubby actually ate vegetables! I'm so proud of him:) Your family and friends will probably enjoy this very much...especially if they like pizza, I suggest trying it! It didn't take very long to do all the prep, just cleaning and cutting the veggies and meats. After all that's done, just throw it in a crockpot and go on with your day!

Happy Cooking!!

No comments: