1.15.2009

It's not been the best day

I'm not feeling the greatest today...not sick, just down in the dumps.

Sara and Tyson are coming for dinner tomorrow night, and to see the new house, which I'm really excited about...but...I cam home with some great ideas for dinner tomorrow night, that I'd really like to try, but Mr. I'm-too-picky-to-try-something-new totally shot me down. I want to make turkey meatballs with a little bit of spinach in them, along with a great cheese sauce, over a bed of pasta, and a potato-green bean salad to go with the meatballs. He said "I'll eat the pasta..." which made me so angry because he won't try anything new.
I'm so frustrated. I can't make something new because he won't eat it. Which means I'm stuck eating spaghetti and meatballs, or alfredo, or pizza because he won't try something even once.
I am almost ready to cry over something as simple as a dinner with friends. Ugh!

I think I'm just going to make it and he'll have to get over it. If he doesn't eat it, it's not my problem. He can just be hungry.

I have to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things...here are the recipes, courtesy of RachelRayMag.com

Super-Size Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Cheese

Rachael Ray
30-Minute Meals

Serves 4
One 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 1/2 to 2 2/3 pounds ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups milk
3/4 cup bread crumbs (3 handfuls)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (2 generous handfuls)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
One 8-ounce package shredded provolone cheese or Italian cheese blend
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Wring the spinach dry in a clean kitchen towel. Place the ground turkey in a large bowl and make a well in the middle of the turkey. Add the spinach, half of the onion, the garlic, the egg, 1/4 cup of the milk, the bread crumbs and the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and season with salt and pepper. Mix until combined, then form the turkey mixture into 12 large balls, arrange on a nonstick baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO. Roast for 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO and the butter to the pan. Melt the butter, add the remaining onion and cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of milk and the broth. Bring the liquid to a boil, then stir in the provolone. Season the sauce to taste with salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
3. Place 3 turkey meatballs on each of 4 dinner plates and drizzle with the sauce; garnish with the parsley and serve.


Balsamic Potato and Green Bean Salad

Tara Bench
EIGHT SERVINGS
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min

Ingredients:
1 ½ pounds small new potatoes
Salt
10 ounces green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, plus whole sprigs for garnish

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, place the potatoes, 2 teaspoons salt and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and let stand.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, mustard, pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Whisk in the olive oil until combined.
3. Toss the potatoes and beans with the dressing to coat. Using a fork, mash several potatoes. Toss in the scallions and thyme. Season with more salt and pepper to taste and top with thyme sprigs. Serve warm or at room temperature.




Sounds good to me!!!

Off to grocery shop!

1 comment:

Toni Conrad said...

Sometimes you just dont tell what you are going to make and then just make it. If they are still hungrizzle... say go eat some cereal. Dont let it bother you too much. I love to make things that Kevin doesnt always enjoy. I just make it and if he doesnt like it I say "Go Suck a Fart" (im not gross... my grandmother said that one day and I think it is a funny insult)